My First Quilt

>> Thursday, July 9, 2009

Welcome to the story of my First Quilt.

Camille of Simplify and Carrie of LaVieEnRosie are hosting a blog hop featuring First and most recent quilts.

I thought I'd join in!

This is a baby quilt I hand pieced, but machine quilted back in 1997(?) I didn't label it - and will now! I used all scraps from my mother's stash from clothes she had made for us or our dolls. I had been married for a year and not expecting, so I wanted both blue and pink in the quilt.
I still really like the white floral fabric. I think my mom had made a doll bunting bag with it. Not overly proud of the craftsmanship here...but hey, wrinkles show work and wisdom, right:)
It took me awhile to piece this quilt and I think I was expecting when I decided that I had to get it done!! Big plans for the quilted border are evidenced by the pencil lines that are STILL there. And my *wonder* binding! I think I just folded over the back and then just kept quilting it by machine until it was all stitched down. Ugh! It was a steep learning curve:)
I am impressed with how much machine quilting I did. I think I must have wore myself out before I got to the border.
No one has used - or seen- this quilt! I have been unimpressed by the finished product, but at the same time didn't want any 'baby messes' on it. So it stays in one of my UFO containers.

Flash forward 12 years!!!!!
This is my most recent finish. It's twin size and all stash fabric. I started it in February 2009 during Pat Sloan's OP challenge. I love orange! This quilt is being used - on my daughter's bed.
What have I learned so far?

I love to play with colour on fabrics.

I love to try new blocks, new settings, new techniques.

I go slow when I get scared to try something new
- and feel JOY when I push through and create it anyway:)

I love to make things as gifts.

I love to make things for my family.

I need to make more things to KEEP:)

There's lots of people out there enjoying making beautiful quilts too.

I have lots more to learn!


That's my journey so far. Thanks for reading.
Sew JOY,
Sarah Vee

5 comments:

General Time Reversible July 9, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I remember you making your first quilt and I have one picture of Molly lying on it when she was a day old. Nice quilt journey! I really want to see the orange quilt in person.

Carrie July 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Hi Sara Vee ~ I love the first quilt, the baby quilt but your OP Challenge quilt is fabulous! Oh my gosh ~ I love that quilt! And that cute little strip of pieced whatevers you put on the top to make it just a bit longer... very clever and it looks terrific!

And I think I'll come sew with you because it sounds like you're learning all the good stuff and having way too much fun!

Thank you for sharing your quilts, your lessons and for playing along.

Anonymous,  July 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

love love love this!!!

Chase July 13, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

I really like your first quilt! most of my quilts are designed around pinwheels. they are fun to work with, aren't they?

sweetbabies00 July 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

I love your comments. I like the feel joy when you push though.
I love you OP quilt, great job! I made a little one.

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP