2 Much Fun - Birthday Quilt Challenge

>> Friday, January 21, 2011





One night this week I finally fused together my sugar pot block for the Madhatter Tea Party quilt. You can see the rest of the blocks I've completed here.

As I was cutting the shapes out I remembered that long long ago, when I was actually working on applique projects, I had saved my scraps of fabrics that had fusible on them.


Then something magical happened.



A new quilt was born!


Well, a mini mini quilt. I cut out a 10 inch square of the polka dot fabric and dumped my fused scraps on the table. Pretty quickly I found the tree. The bird was a stroke of luck. The bright green bits were first going to be grass. Then I played with them and found a '5'. Then I really decided to bend my own *rules* and cut some of them to shape the '5'.


A new challenge was born too. This little mini will be a birthday present for my nephew turning, can you guess, '5' this year! It will be late, because great ideas don't always happen on a schedule:)

I have 5 nieces and this nephew to make birthday quilts for this year. I'm going to challenge myself to incorporate their age into each quilt top.

This one is shaping up nicely too. It's for my niece whose birthday already passed this month. I'm sure she'll forgive me as she was busy with the princesses in Disneyland when she turned 6.



Come back on Monday and hopefully you'll see some more progress in the pink and purple fabrics on my design wall.


Do you make birthday gifts for kids? Do you have something you always make or do you try new things?



With Joy,
Sarah Vee

1 comments:

Rachel Slote-Brown January 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

Thanks for the sneak peek to his gift! I really like the bird in the tree. Can't wait to see it in person.

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP