Cake Talk Tuesday

>> Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Have you joined yet?

Konda, of Moose on the Porch Quilts, ran the very successful Jelly Roll Quilt Along and her newest venture starts November 2nd.



I'm playing along this time - and even designing one of the blocks :)

I'm going to be making 2 samplers, one with a layer cake {April Cornell's Prayer Flag}
and one with fat quarters ( I'll show those fabrics next Tuesday)

Here are the fabric requirements as listed in the first quilt along post.

Fabric Requirements:
1 Layer Cake (or 12 fat quarters)
1 1/2 yards accent fabric
1 2/3 yards outer border
4 yards backing
2/3 yards binding

Size of Quilt: 64" x 80"

Konda also answers some questions and gives a little bit of details in the post, so you'll probably want to read all of it here.

I have already decided that I will use one of these prints as the outer border.
I may wait to see what the blocks start to look like before I decide.
Or I might be pushed into which ever one I can find online!

The next thing I need to decide on is what colour to use for my accent fabric.
There is a lot of blue in this layer cake.



Orange/rust is the second colour.




Green and yellow together have the same amount of fabrics as the orange.




I would call these the neutrals in this fabric line. There are still colours in many of the prints, but the backgrounds are all a cream. I can't really use cream as the accent fabric because it won't look like an accent if it's also in some of the block pieces - this could cause some blocks to recede visually or look bigger compared to its neighbours.



This yellow piece shows {although rather poorly! my fault} that April Cornell added a chestnut brown as a complimentary colour to the line. It shows up in the prints as well.



Here's a piece of tone on tone chestnut fabric I have so you can see that it would work well, really well as an accent. But. It's not the colour for me!




I looked at my fabric colour wheel that I have taped to the outside of my cabinet.
The dark arrows show the main colours in the layer cake.
Mostly secondary colours.
Then I looked to the opposite {bottom} of the colour wheel to see what would match.
Not purple, but darker purple.
Not red, but burgundy.
I'm looking at using a solid colour, not a print, so that makes it a little tougher for me to choose!
I may end up ordering a more purple fabric AND a more red fabric and seeing which I like better.
I think the chestnut colour goes more towards the red spectrum. . .

What do you think?
Have you joined yet?!?

Stay tuned for next Tuesday's Cake Talk:)

With Joy,
Sarah Vee

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP