A Quilt For Me

>> Friday, May 21, 2010




Welcome to my Quilt for the Blogger's Quilt Festival being hosted by Amy.





My Birthday Baskets Quilt

This is the first quilt I have ever made for my house. I have been quilting for almost 14 years now. I finished it for my birthday THIS year!



It started over 2 years ago when I started making these basket blocks for a quilt for a new niece. But, I'm being honest here, I loved the blocks too much to give them away. Even to a nice home. I found the block on the infamous Quilter's Cache. {spend some time there - great blocks for quilt bees}




Then I needed to convince myself I could make a large quilt and finish it with my domestic machine. Georgia Bonesteel's excellent quilt-as-you-go method gave me confidence - and her book excellent instructions. {Click on the photo of her book to go to her website store where she has it on sale!}





I made my quilt in 3 panels. Here my cat, Mogli, is testing the width of a panel for me. This quilt was made for the wall though, so he doesn't get to snuggle with it normally.





I made this quilt to fit in our entry way. I used fabrics from my stash - some of them really old fabrics. I was inspired by antique quilts to come up with this setting arrangement - sashing with no borders.





I quilted each panel separately then sewed them together. You can sort of see here the zig zag effect I almost achieved!





I even tried really hard to match up the binding with the sashing strips as it went around the quilt.






For the backing I used the rest of the gold sashing fabric and this turquoise floral basket print.


This quilt doesn't look like most of the quilts I make.
But the tradition behind it is what started me in quilting.
I love getting to look at this quilt when I wake up in the morning!




I hope you enjoyed my quilt! There's more to see. Enjoy the festival. Click on the logo above to visit more blogger's quilts.



With Joy,
Sarah Vee

19 comments:

Abby and Stephanie May 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Pretty. I love basket quilts.

Dresden Quilter May 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

It is really pretty and I love the sashing. A basket quilt has been on my to do list for a while.

Jennifer May 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

Very pretty! I'm glad you made one for yourself... we quilters should do that more often!

Jennifer :)

Sandra May 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

Love the basket quilt, you were successful in giving it an antique feel.
Come see my 1890 antique star quilt
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

Sandra Starley

Shelly May 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

Your width tester is adorable . . . looks like he does a great job!

Becky May 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

Wonderful story behind your quilt! I'm still trying to make wall hangings for my home. It just never seems to be top priority. Thanks for sharing!

Carol May 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Interesting quilt. I like the idea of trying to match up the sashing to the strips. I think I'll try a quilt without borders.

Allie May 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

This is just lovely - Georgia Bonesteel was one of the first books I ever read when I taught myself to quilt! And yet I've never done her method, lol. I really love this quilt, so glad you didn't add borders - it really looks vintage. The baskets are so darling, and I love the backing fabric!

Sherri May 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

I love your quilt...and can't believe it's the first you've made for yourself in 14 years...you certainly deserve it and many more!

Karen May 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM  

Your quilt looks fantastic hanging. Excellent work.

marlene@ByTheSeam May 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

What a lovely quilt for your wall. I like the blend of the old fabrics and the newer ones. Nice job.

Michelle May 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

What beautiful, sweet little baskets! I have Georgia Bonesteel's book too. It was a big help to me to learn that quilts didn't have to be quilted in all one piece. Glad your quilt inspector approved the work along the way. :-)

Sandi Linn Andersen May 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Sarah, I love this quilt and the story behind it is so sweet! I really like the three panel construction. I used to watch Georgia Bonesteel on the public television station and I have three of her early books. Good quilting techniques never go out of style. :-) I like your little quilt so much, that I am wondering if you would mind if I make one similar to it. I have these Civil War fabrics that I've never used and they might just look good in a basket quilt. Since I just finished my FIU project for Pat's group, that means I can start a new one...right? LOL!

Shannon w/ Monkey Dog Quilts May 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Lovely Quilt and you've got to make a quilt for yourself once in awhile. Sew On!

Jocelyn May 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Very pretty quilt. I love basket quilts. Nicely done.

Jeanne May 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

Sarah, I also taught myself to quilt using Georgia Bonesteel's books. When my children were little, I wanted to be the grandmother one day who quilted since my children's didn't. I happened upon a quilting series on PBS by G. Bonesteel and went out and bought her book. I've got 4 of them, I think. I've only made 2 quilts using this method...1 queen and 1 king...and, although I don't love the way the back looks, I do love the portability and ease of quilting it provides.

I got to be Georgia's helper in a quilt class back in the 80's and was starstruck! Well, now I have 5 grandbabies and one on the way and I am the grandmother who quilts!

Love your traditional quilt and your story!

QuiltSue May 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

What a lovely, traditional style quilt.

Dallas Designing-Diva May 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

Happy B-day to you....love the quilt.

Randi
http://DivaBuzz.designing-diva.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP