She had me at "No Strings"

>> Wednesday, January 13, 2010



I really wasn't going to join anything. Nothing! Until I had some projects done. Then Stephanie posted this and THEN she started a Challenge.



I started by sorting all my scraps that I had thrown into this bin while cleaning up my sewing space. There are some big pieces in here - almost fat quarters - and some small ones - really small ones. The rest were designated as strips and put back in.


Then my sister and I started emailing and thought we would make ONE strip block a week for the year and get a quilt of some size out of it. I had some muslin already cut at 8 1/2 inches for a project I never did. . . so I made my first block.

Then, I had an idea.


A birthday placemat for my niece! Yay! I always struggle to figure out what to get her with her birthday so soon after Christmas. This year I was still looking through my patterns at Christmas for ideas to make her birthday gift.

This one took me less than a day! And I love the colours. I used 6 1/2 inch foundations which I trimmed to 6 inches. I picked out a whole bunch of strips that I liked for her, and kept using the cutoffs as I made the blocks. I knew with the 3 across, 2 down setting I wouldn't get a neat repeating pattern. I made 3 blocks on the diagonal and 3 straight across instead.


I kept the back plain and pretty.

Now I have one string project done and so - I joined the challenge!

Project/birthday gift number 2 is underway:)

You can click on the No Strings Attached button in my sidebar to get to the list of participants on Stephanie's blog.

With Joy,
Sarah Vee

2 comments:

Abby and Stephanie January 13, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

Terrific. Good for you. Colorful and what a great gift this will be.

Rachel Slote-Brown January 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

I love it. You should make a whole set!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP