Scrap Nest

>> Friday, October 16, 2009


Here's my little contribution to Sew Mama Sew's scrapbuster month of tutorials.








A Scrap Nest


No, not this nest of scraps . . .


This one! Made from strips cut off and left for the trash. Now freshly weaved together to make some little body warm. Want to see some amateur tutorial photos? Well, brace yourself, here they are!:)

First go through your scrap strips and find colours that appeal to you for your project. I knew on my fabric hunt that I wanted brights. I ended up picking 5 different colours. You could pick more or less. I think you could just find some strips you love and figure out what to make later. I'm going to keep the selvedge of coloured numbers you can see in this photo for another day.

Then begin. I cut my strips randomly, about 4 inches long. I started with two strips going across and started to weave two more in and out of them. Then, I kept going!

Here's the blurry amateur shot:) As you can see (almost clearly) I have two colours going across and now 3 going up and down. I even kept them in a pattern. You can choose to be much more random.

Next I used a leftover piece of Mistyfuse to make my weaving one piece of material. I used a 2 inch square. Parchment paper is required directly on top of your ironing board and another piece on top of your project.

So - ironing board
parchment paper
Mistyfuse
weaving - right side UP
parchment paper



A gentle iron for a couple of seconds at medium heat. I put it to cotton but didn't press for very long. Seconds does it.


Then I flipped over my fabric and drew on my nest.

*With Mistyfuse, I could have drawn my nest on the parchment paper that sits on the ironing board. The hot iron would transfer the pencil lines onto my fabric to make for easy cutting. I forgot this neat aspect but it was okay because my nest would look the same in reverse (well, close enough for me!) If you are drawing a different design keep this in mind. Draw first, then iron on the Mistyfuse.*

Cut out your shape.

Now I have a happy little nest for my tree! This is a design in progress for me. I was so happy to think of something that doesn't have facial features to put out on the limb!:)

Please email or leave a comment if you have any questions. I hope you enjoy weaving something new out of your scraps!

With Joy,
Sarah Vee

5 comments:

Jeannette October 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

Made me remember those little yarn looms of childhood...

HelenMarie October 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

what a great idea! I have to make a tiny pieced applique quilt for a block that Im working on. This looks like it will be a lot easier to do!

Lenetta November 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

Love those ideas that transfer well to . . . well, anything that you can think of! :>) I linked to this on my roundup of favorite scrap buster projects - thanks so much!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP